Friday 6 December 2013

Winnie Mandela - Hero of the Revolutionary Struggle


Sculpting the Public Myth of the historical figure of Nelson Mandela in real time

 - As crafted courtesy of PBS Fontline




"Together, hand in hand, with that stick of matches, with our necklace, we shall liberate this country. "

Winnie Mandela (b. 1934), South African political leader. Speech in black townships. Quoted in Guardian (London, April 15, 1986).




"The years of imprisonment hardened me.... 

Perhaps if you have been given a moment to hold back and wait for the next blow, your emotions wouldn't be blunted as they have been in my case. 

When it happens every day of your life, when that pain becomes a way of life, I no longer have the emotion of fear. ... there is no longer anything I can fear. 

There is nothing the government has not done to me. 

There isn't any pain I haven't known. "



Nelson Mandela during his announcement of his separation from Winnie, April 1992: "I part from my wife with no recriminations. I embrace her with all the love and affection I have nursed for her inside and outside of prison from the moment I first met her."

Source: "Husband & Lover." PBS.org.

Richard Stengel about Nelson's regrets: "He has regrets what happened to his first marriage, his children by his first marriage, his very frosty relations with those kids. I think he has regrets ... so many regrets with what happened with Winnie, for all kinds of reasons."

Source: Richard Stengel. "Interview Excerpt." PBS.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment