Sunday 11 May 2014

Eurovision

"When worst come to Wurst, my peoples come first..."


Eurovision 2014: Ten Reasons Why Austrian Drag Queen Conchita Wurst Must Win
By David Sim - May 9, 2014 

1. It will upset the Russians.
2. It will upset homophobes in Eastern Europe. 
3. It would upset Austrian right-wing politicians like Heinz-Christian Strache, FPO leader.


Yes.

Because upsetting people for no good reason is certainly what we should have as our goal in life.

It's a part of the European ideal. But think of the children.

10% of those will see that and think - "I'm gay - when I grow up, I want to upset people on a global stage.

That's what being gay and gay identity is all about. Upsetting people.

It's a core aspect of my personality and my soul, and you have to deal with it and accept me, otherwise you are an awful person."

That seems to me to be non-traditional and extremely homophobic.


For those keeping track of these things, "It's a good song" was listed as reason number 10 on the list of 10 reasons why her song should win an international song contest.

It was quite literally, the last thing they thought of.

"It will upset lots of people" should never be a reason for anyone in their life to do anything.

It certainly shouldn't be reasons 1), 2) and 3).


To take a case study - Black America has had around 150 years now to integrate and assimilate into mainstream American society - Gay America has been doing it for only around 40 years, and that really startles old people.


It's really basically only been okay to be gay in Western culture since around 1992 - so I don't know what makes us think we are so much better and more accepting than those in the East, where it's only been legal since 1994.










No comments:

Post a Comment