Saturday 18 February 2017

Trump of Many Colours

"For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

I looked then and saw that his robes, which had seemed white, were not so, but were woven of all colours, and if he moved they shimmered and changed hue so that the eye was bewildered. 

'I liked white better,' I said. 

'White!' he sneered. 'It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken.' 

In which case it is no longer white,' said I. 'And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.'


'"Saruman," I said, standing away from him, "only one hand at a time can wield the One, and you know that well, so do not trouble to say we! But I would not give it, nay, I would not give even news of it to you, now that I learn your mind. You were head of the Council, but you have unmasked yourself at last. 


Well, the choices are, it seems, to submit to Sauron, or to yourself. I will take neither. 


Have you others to offer?"

No comments:

Post a Comment