Saturday 3 March 2018

Jordan Peterson - Carelessly Disrespecting Your Culture





ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF : 
Kurn told me that his mother actively discouraged him exploring his Klingon heritage. 


[ This is Child Abuse - Plain and Simple ]

WORF: 
When he first came to live with me, he knew nothing of our ways. He often reminds me of things his mother said to him. 

[ Children always do. Leveraging guilt and the invocation of the absent parent to umdermine and negate the authority of the parent who is present - but that doesn't mean anything. ]
I try not to disregard her wishes, I want the boy to honour his mother. 

[ BIG Mistake... ]

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF : 
Someday I'm sure he will appreciate you and be grateful for all that you have given him. 

[ So, he does. ]
But still, compared to other boys his age, his fighting skills are years behind. 

WORF: 
Yes, I know. 
He does not put in the time it takes to learn the skills. 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF : 
I thought that you might consider sending him to the training Academy on Ogat. 
Your brother is an influential man. 
I'm sure he could see to it that Alexander was admitted. 

WORF: 
Ogat? 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF : 
I am only thinking of what is best for the boy. 
There, he would learn our ways. 
He would live like a Klingon. 

WORF: 
I would like him to learn our ways. 
No. This is his home. 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF : 
How can you expect him to lead our family when all he knows is life aboard a Federation starship?

[ He can't, obviously ]

WORF: 
He is my son. He belongs with me. 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF : 
The boy is more human than Klingon. 
If he stays here, he will never be a warrior. 
He will never be able to defend our family against its enemies. 


WORF: 
Enough! Enough! Enough! 
The decision is mine. 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF : 
Not necessarily. 
I would be well within my rights to invoke ya'nora kor

WORF: 
You would question my fitness to raise my own son? 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF : 
For the good of our house, yes. 
Worf, I beg of you. 
Please stop thinking of yourself. 
It is Alexander we should be considering. 
Look into your heart and do what is best for him.



[Worf's quarters]
K'MTAR: 
Kahless was determined to teach his brother a lesson because he had told a lie. 
But Morath refused to fight him and instead ran away. 
Kahless pursued him across the valleys, over the mountains, and down to the edge of the sea. 

And there on the shore, they fought for... 

ALEXANDER ROZHENKO, OF  NO HOUSE
Twelve days, twelve nights. I know, I've heard this story before. 



ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
Alexander, it is important to tell these stories, even if we already know them.

ALEXANDER ROZHENKO, OF  NO HOUSE
Why was Kahless so mad about the lie his brother told? 

K'MTAR: 
It made him look like a coward. 

ALEXANDER: 
If Kahless would have just explained what happened, maybe they wouldn't have had to fight about it.

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
You're missing the point. 

ALEXANDER: 
Why was it so wrong for Morath to run away? 
Maybe he didn't want to fight his brother because he didn't want to have to kill him. 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
He ran because he was a coward. 

ALEXANDER: 
But how do you know that's why? 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
No more questions! 
These are our stories. 
It is important for a warrior to learn how to interpret them properly. 

ALEXANDER: 
I'm trying to



ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
No, your head is filled with foolish human notions about the way things are.  
You are Klingon. 
It is time you began to act like one. 

ALEXANDER: 
I am part human, too. 

K'MTAR: 
Listen to me, Alexander. 
When a human looks at you, he does not see himself. 
He sees a Klingon. 

ALEXANDER: 
It doesn't matter what I look like. 



ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
 It does
You are different than everyone else aboard this ship. 

ALEXANDER: 
That's not true. 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
It is. The only way that you will ever feel as if you truly belong, is to leave here and go live with your own kind. 
I know a Klingon school you could go to. 
You would be welcome there. 
They would teach you how to be a warrior, prepare you for the Rite of Ascension. 

ALEXANDER: 
I don't know if I want to do that. 

[ Of course - why would you? You are a Child, you know NOTHING... ]


ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
After you were there a while you would find that you wouldn't want to do anything else. 

ALEXANDER: 
I don't want to leave the Enterprise. 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
Alexander, you must. Everything depends on it. 

ALEXANDER: 
I thought you were different. I thought you understood me. 
But you don't. 
You're just like my Father. 
All you care about is me becoming a warrior. 
Just leave me alone!


[Worf's quarters]
(Worf enters to find K'mtar with a weapon aimed at Alexander. He pulls him to the floor and is about to hit him when



ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
Father. Stop, I am your son. I am Alexander. 

WORF: 
What are you saying? 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
I am your son Alexander. I have come to this time from forty years in the future. 

WORF: 
P'tak! Tell me the truth or I will kill you. 


ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
Look at me. When we first met you said I looked familiar. 

WORF: 
I could have seen you on the Homeworld. 




ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
No. Look closely. I am your son. 

WORF: 
If you are Alexander, you will remember your mother's last words before she died. 




ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
I was three years old. She was dying when we found her. She barely managed to whisper my name and then she took my hand and placed it in yours. Then she died. And then you howled in rage and said, look upon her. Look upon death and always to remember. And I always have. 
(Worf stops strangling him) 
WORF: 
How have you done this, come to this time? 



ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
I met a man in the Cambra system. He gave me a chance to change the past. He had the ability to send me here, to this time. 

WORF: 
And you came here in order to end your own life? 
ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
I was hoping that I would not have to, that I could change things, that I could change myself. But I could not. And now everything is going to turn out like it did before. I cannot let that happen. 

WORF: 
But why? What is going to happen that is so terrible? 
ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
You will be killed because I was naive, too weak to be able to protect you. 
WORF: 
I do not believe that. 
ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
I was there! I saw you murdered. I was to blame. 

WORF: 
You must not blame yourself. 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
You don't understand. I did not become a warrior. 
I was a diplomat, a peacemaker. 

When it came my time to lead our family, I thought that I could single handedly end the fighting between the great houses. 

I publicly announced that the house of Mogh would be the first to end the feuding. That there would be no more retribution, no more revenge. 
You tried to warn me. 
You tried to tell me that I should not show weakness, but I thought you were a foolish old man. I told you that you were a relic from an earlier time and that a new era of peace was at hand. 

But you were right. 

My enemies saw my weakness and moved against me. And unless I stop it right now, that boy will see his father killed on the floor of the Council Chamber. 

WORF: 
That is why you wanted to take Alexander away. To turn him into a warrior. 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
I staged the assassination attempt to try and frighten him, to make him realise that he must follow the Ways of The Warrior. 
If I had listened to you, if I had become the warrior that you had wanted me to be, you would not have died in my arms. 

WORF: 
No. Who knows what the future will be now that you have disrupted time? 

I may die tomorrow or I may outlive you. 
But when I die, I would like an honourable death. 
And the only way that is possible is for you accept yourself as you are, and stay true to what you believe. 

The cause of peace is a just cause. 
The struggle must continue. 

K'MTAR: 
It is a futile struggle. 
I cannot change things. 

WORF: 
You have already changed things more than you realise. 

K'MTAR: 
The Boy I Was has not changed. 

WORF: 
But I have. 
You have given me a glimpse into my son's future and I know now that he has his own destiny. 
And I believe it will be a great one. 

K'MTAR: 
I love you, Father. 

 [ This is impossible to express in Klingon, much less say ]

WORF: 
And I you, Alexander.

 [ That one, you are probably okay with. ]













ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF :
Listen to me, Alexander. 
When a human looks at you, he does not see himself. 
He sees a Klingon. 

ALEXANDER ROZHENKO, OF NO HOUSE : 
It doesn't matter what I look like. 

ALEXANDER, SON OF WORF
It does.

[ And this is NOT  racism, this is Self-Similarity bias and/or Novelty Aversion - things are not antagonised by other things of Like-Nature, whilst those things of Un-Like Nature draw notice and attract attention, AS THEY MUST.... ] 


TORRES: 
When I was a child, I did everything I could to hide my forehead. Hats, scarves, you name it...

I grew up on a colony on Kessik Four. My mother and I were the only Klingons there, and that was a time when relations between the Homeworld and the Federation weren't too cordial. 
 Nobody ever said anything, but we were different and I didn't like that feeling. 
Then my father left when I was five years old.
 One day he was there and the next he wasn't. 
I cried myself to sleep every night for months. 
Of course I never told anybody. 
And then I finally decided that he'd left because I look like a Klingon. 
And so I tried to look human. 

PARIS: 
Looks like you finally got what you wanted.

[ Which is precisely why you ought not to be given What You Want (especially in the case of children) — because those things typically tend to be really bad for you... ]

No comments:

Post a Comment